With Valentine’s Day right around the corner everyone is trying to plan the ultimate date or special day for their special someone. Many typical Valentine’s Day dates consist of dinner, movies, going out, dancing, etc. and then end back at one’s home for the night to end. The end of the night is normally the decline of the day, but it doesn’t have to be. How nice would it be to come back after the events of celebration to homemade Valentine’s Day desserts to share with your special someone in the comfort of your own home, instead of in a packed expensive restaurant with waiter’s and waitresses who are most likely wishing they weren’t stuck at work. There are so many desserts you could make to surprise your loved one with that go with the Valentine’s Day theme. One of my ultimate favorite things to make in honor of V-Day are Red Velvet Brownies, not only are they the color of love, but they are deliciously sweet and will show your “sweetie” how much you appreciate them. These brownies are one of the easier, less intricate, dessert endeavors which make them a dessert possibility for almost everyone.
What you’ll need:
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 ounces red food coloring
- 4 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
Now for the good part; how to make these delicious brownies:
- In a mixer, cream your butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar.
- Next add one egg at a time, beating in between.
- Next, add the pure vanilla extract and the red food coloring.
- Keep adding the food coloring until you get a bright red, color of love, batter.
- Mix until fully incorporated and be sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- In a separate mixing bowl, add the all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, and salt. Be sure to mix well.
- Slowly add the flour and cocoa mixture to the original, now red, batter. Be careful not to over mix.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl making sure the flour is fully mixed in. Don’t over mix, the batter should be very thick.
- Spread the batter into a greased 9×13 baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 30-40 minutes, or until just set.
- The brownies will have a thin layer of crust and gooey inside if baked for about 35 minutes. Time of bake depends on personal preferences. I like gooey brownies!!
- Let them cool and enjoy!!
These Red Velvet brownies will not disappoint. If anything they will bring joy to almost everyone who takes a single bite. Your Valentine’s Day could end on a sweet note with these gooey delicious treats.
This recipe was adapted from Newlyweds.